21 June 2008

Culture War over Auto Choices?

I have to admit, I had never thought of people's choices in automobiles as a culture war. Typically, when one sees that phrase, it's usually homosexuality or abortion that are being discussed (or argued very, very loudly, as the case may be). However, this article on CUNY's Sustainable Cities Blog has helped me see this in a new light.

Leaving aside for a moment the idea of abandoning the car entirely (another culture war, perhaps?), our choices in cars do show how we perceive our relationship with our world and it's resources. It's also reflected in a former White House Press Secretary's answer to a reporters question about energy and American lifestyles.

Take a read and see what you think.

2 comments:

preacherman said...

Wonderful post on this important topic. I thank you for dealing with it. It is something that every American needs to read. I want you to know I enjoyed reading your blog and am looking forward to reading it regularly. I hope you have a wonderful week.

Brian said...

I appreciate the feedback. These topics are too important to stay quiet about. Thanks for joining the conversation!